Tuesday, February 19, 2008

All Corporate Managers should be Physically Fit

The only Group Discussion which I was not able to make it through during Day 0 of my placements at IMT was that of Vodafone. The topic of the GD was the title of this post. At that time, I was mentally tired and almost not able to think about what was going on around me. It did not help me either that my name was being called out for the Bharti Airtel interview while I was inside for the Vodafone GD. But excuses aside, a major reason behind why I did not function well mentally at that GD was a simple one : I was not physically fit!!!

It has taken me a couple of months to realise this truth, and it has been a bitter pill to swallow. But I have decided to move on. I am back to playing tennis almost daily and I am walking everyday as well. Yes, at my age it should have been jogging, but somehow I am just not able to get to that level of physical exertion as of now. So brisk walking for 40 minutes it is every evening. I do about 5 to 6 kms of it everyday ( a rough calculation) and I am feeling really fit these days.

Coming back to the topic of the GD, I totally realise now how physical fitness is so very important for a corporate manager today. It is important to feel fresh both mentally as well as physically, and I am enjoying the feeling of freshness which has come over me due to the physical exertions of the past few weeks.

Needless to say now, all corporate managers should be physically fit, and I am surely on that route now.

No comments: